The Mason Jar Salad Guide
I recently came across the amazingness that is The Mason Jar salad. I love that its made in a glass jar, rather than a plastic container. I love that it can be assembled in advance, and eat even a few days later. I love that its delicious, healthy, and customizable. Bonus: you really can’t mess it up!
Wide Mouth Lid (the lid works will all wide mouth mason jars)
Process and Ingredients:
To the jar add the ingredients in the following order:
1. Salad dressing. My favorite is anything from Primal Kitchen. You can find a variety of their products on Thrive Market as well. (If you are using a can of sardine for your protein, use the oil as the dressing)
2. Chopped hard veggies such as cucumbers, onions, asparagus, celery, peppers, carrots. Any veggies that will not get soggy in the dressing.
3. Softer veggies: beans of any kind, peas, corn, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms
4. Protein & cheese (hard boiled eggs have a short shelf life, so the salad should be eaten within a day or two). My favorite are canned sardines, canned salmon, and tofu.
5. Grains if using (rice, orzo, buckwheat, quinoa
6. Nuts and seeds
7. Leafy greens, lettuces, herbs. Arugula and spinach are my favorite
No need to have ingredients from every category. I often skip the grains part.
Close the jar, put in the fridge. When ready to eat, either shake it up to mix the ingredients, or pour into a bowl
Do you scramble for healthy breakfast and lunch options? Schedule a FREE consultation HERE, and lets find a few go-to items you can always fall back on.